Friday, April 23, 2010

Roasted sweet potatoes

My mom recently bought me some Korean chestnut sweet potatoes (밤고구마) from the supermarket and I was wondering what to do with them. Decided to roast them in the oven, and they turned out lovely. No oil, no sugar, just plain sweet potatoes. I've never tried cooking these sweet potatoes any other way, so I don't know what their texture would be like if they were steamed or boiled. But they were lovely roasted.

All you need are:
Korean chestnut sweet potatoes, washed
Parchment paper

Set the oven to 175 degrees celsius, and after the oven heats up (I waited about 15 min), put the sweet potatoes in on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. After 1 1/2 hours of baking, the sweet potatoes will be ready! If you want the sugar in the sweet potatoes to caramelise you could leave it in longer, but I couldn't wait because my house smelled of sweet potatoes and the glutton in me was just dying to get my hands on them. When you take them out of the oven, the flesh would have shrunk considerably and it will be fairly easy to peel the sweet potatoes with the aid of a small kitchen knife and a fork (if you can't wait for them to cool down and you don't want to burn your fingers).

The sweet potatoes were gooey soft and oh so delectable. No dryness (from boiling or steaming), just forkful after forkful of rich, moist, piping hot golden flesh.

[Update] I tried roasting Japanese sweet potatoes but the flesh wasn't as moist as the Korean ones. The surface of the Japanese sweet potato after roasting was dry, but if you slice it into half the innermost part of the sweet potato is more moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter