Friday, March 25, 2011

Shampoo bars and water hardness

I had a really astonishing experience today that I really want to share. I've always suspected that my water was moderately hard, and many shampoo bar users note that water hardness does affect the efficacy of shampoo bar use, though they have been working pretty okay for me. So anyway. I was washing my hair today, and after rinsing off the shampoo, I used the lemon juice rinse on it, but as I began to rinse the juice rinse out of my hair, I felt a lock of hair that was still a little oily so I stopped rinsing. The lock of hair was still coated in the lemon juice rinse when I ran my shampoo bar down the length of the lock, and IT GLIDED. Following this, it lathered amazingly quickly. I was seriously astounded but then I realised that lemon juice contains both citric and ascorbic acid (though probably in teeny amounts) that maybe "converted" my hard water into soft water. I never thought water hardness would make such a big difference but it did! I've got an order of citric acid and ascorbic acid on its way to me from Lotion Crafter, and hopefully it'll help turn my water "soft" and make my shampoo bar experience even better! I'll post any updates here, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter