Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Shea butter

Just received my raw unrefined organic shea butter from Beija-Flor Naturals in the mail! I haven't used it because I was rushing out of the house, but I'll definitely post updates after I'm done. I plan on using it as is, instead of whipping it with jojoba/vitamin E oil.

Update:
My shea butter came in a simple screw top container. It was not as creamy as I expected it to be, but rather it looked like it had been smushed into the container by the seller.

Quality and Smell:
Unlike reviews of other shea butter I've read on the web, the shea butter I received was pale yellow, clean (no disgusting hair or other strange foreign matter that I had to pick out of it!), and didn't have an intolerable smell. The smell is pretty all right actually. It is not as fragrant as cocoa butter, but it has a somewhat similar smell that is nutty, and pleasant.

Texture:
The texture is thick, which makes it difficult to spread on arms and legs. If it wasn't such a hassle, I'd whip it with jojoba oil.... I guess that's a small price to pay for high quality, natural moisturisers with zero chemicals!

Review:
As a moisturiser, I love this stuff. It gets absorbed into the skin really quickly, though it leaves a film of product on the skin; my skin definitely feels coated, but not sticky or oily. As such, I personally don't use this as a daytime body moisturiser, because the weather here is hot and humid, and I think it just wouldn't be a good mix. But I love this as a night body moisturiser, especially because I sleep in an air-conditioned room. I wake up with nice, moisturised skin. I have also used the shea butter on the damaged ends of my hair, upon coming out of the shower. A little goes a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter